Textured fonts working strangly with windowed

binaryspike wrote on Tuesday, April 24, 2007:

I am working on a project and the textured fonts (FTGL) will render 25-30 frames per second (fps) in windowed mode. In fullscreen it will run around 3,000fps.

This is windows, so I know very little on how it creates context’s. I learned OpenGL on mac.

I have an ATI Radeon X1650 Pro. 25fps for a spinning box in windowed mode means something is wrong. As I run bzflag (SDL) in windowed mode at 150+fps full graphics.

Obviously it could be a “problem” between GLFW and FTGL (the font renderer)… But it would have to do with how GLFW sets up it’s fullscreen compared to it’s windowed.

I tested both under 32 bit colors, just to make sure it wasn’t that (as I run 1024x768 true color)

Thanks!
BinarySpike

elmindreda wrote on Wednesday, April 25, 2007:

I wonder if perhaps your app has slipped into software rendering, considering the extreme difference.

binaryspike wrote on Thursday, April 26, 2007:

Gave the windowed mode to a friend, and it ran 480fps, his was an Moblity Radeon 7500

So you are correct. I probably don’t have the correct drivers installed.

I also gave the fullscreen mode version of my program to him, and it crashed. I only changed the GLFW_WINDOW to GLFW_FULLSCREEN

binaryspike wrote on Saturday, April 28, 2007:

I moved to SDL, and I get 1,000fps in windowed. So this seems to be a GLFW problem.

binaryspike wrote on Saturday, April 28, 2007:

I’m nearly positive that the error is related to this bug report:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1614766&group_id=72569&atid=534938

As after I tried multiple monitors things when strange till I re-installed drivers. (like many many GLUT programs not working)

Hope I helped!

elmindreda wrote on Wednesday, May 02, 2007:

If it seems connected then please post a verbose follow-up to that bug, with all the details you can think of as even remotely relevant. I can’t keep track of cross-references between forum and tracker for very long, so this thread will get lost in the noise before long. Tracker items are forever.