Only input and no window?

nobody wrote on Saturday, April 02, 2005:

I have been converting my direct input code into glfw, but I am not getting input from the kb or mouse. So just a little question: Can I use glfw for input only or do i need to let glfw create my window?

shenron_fr wrote on Monday, April 04, 2005:

You don’t need to create a window, you can use glfw for input i you want, make sure you initialise glfw and look at the examples and documentation to know how to do this

shenron_fr wrote on Monday, April 04, 2005:

… what i say is probably an error, maybe i do this wrong but after posting my answer i remember my first attempt and i test it again
it seems glfw catch inputs in his own window so i think glfw can’t be used alone instead of direct input

maybe in a future version ? (when multiple windows can be used)

marcus256 wrote on Sunday, April 17, 2005:

I suppose that you could get mouse and keyboard input without a window on most systems somehow (e.g. DirectInput under Windows), but that’s both unlogical from a design point of view (especially when multiple windows are supported), and unportable.

I can think of no program that would benefit from the ability of reading user input without giving some kind of graphical response to this input action (i.e. a window/graphicless application). If you want to use GLFW solely for input, and have the graphics displayed with some alternate API, I think you are on the wrong track. Then using DirectInput directly is a better option (sorry, no pun intended).

In short: it won’t happen. :wink: