Poll a single input event at a time without a callback function?

ltafoya wrote on Tuesday, June 24, 2014:

Hi. I would like to start by saying thank you for creating GLFW. I’m creating a 3D game engine and am having some difficulty trying to integrate your input handling into my component based design. I am using GLFW 3.0.4

In SFML (which was what I was using when I was learning how to do 2D games) I was able to process the input events one at a time from within my input system object like this

// check all the window’s events that were triggered since the last iteration of the loop
sf::Event event;
while(pWindow->pollEvent(event)) {
// Handle event
}

As far as I can tell with GLFW, I must register a callback function in order to process input events (or explicitly check the state of every key). However, my input system does not follow a singleton design pattern so giving it a static function to use as a callback would complicate my system more than I would like.

Is there a way to handle input in a way which is similar to the above SFML example? I would rather not include SFML in my project just for it’s input handling.

elmindreda wrote on Tuesday, June 24, 2014:

Use the window user pointer to find your input system object from the callbacks. That’s what I do.

ltafoya wrote on Wednesday, June 25, 2014:

Thank you for the fast response. I’ve been messing with it trying to get even a dummy static member function to work, but it crashes every time.

I have a
static void KeyCallback(GLFWwindow *window, int key, int scancode, int action, int mods);

KeyCallback is just a dummy function defined as
void Input::KeyCallback(GLFWwindow *window, int key, int scancode, int action, int mods) {}

I tried
glfwSetKeyCallback(pWindow, KeyCallback);

But this function causes my program to crash. The compiler doesn’t give me any clues. When I comment out the glfwSetKeyCallback function, my program does not crash. I looked at your code and it looks like I’m using the same syntax as you.

Do you have any idea what could be going on?

EDIT: nevermind. I figured out what was wrong. I accidentally gave it a null pointer that I thought pointed to the GLFWwindow. My bad.

EDIT2: I now have glfwSetWindowUserPointer glfwGetWindowUserPointer working with static callback functions in my engine. Thank you for the advice and example.