Joystick Input Callbacks, Rumble, and the PS4 Controller

Hi GLFW Devs,

I’ve been using GLFW for a while. I would like to help it reach the 3.4 release. These are the things that I am able to contribute in a cross-platform manner.

• Joystick/Gamepad input callbacks (Closing #601)
  • Gamepad rumble/vibration (Closing #57)
  • Playstation 4 Controller Touchpad and LED support

I wanted to ask a few questions I could not find answered on the repository before starting:

• Is it necessary that the src/ folder stays flat, with no folders to add code organization?
  • Is it a goal of glfw to have as few dependencies as possible/roll-your-own for most parts of the codebase?
  • Is this forum the best way to communicate with the core devs of the project?

Looking forward to your responses.

1 Like

Hi @jameskr97,

This forum is primarily for support - most discussion of PRs occurs on Github.

I believe #601 already has a PR:

I see that #57 has both been around for a while and marked as urgent so might be a good place to start.

With regards to your questions:

• Is it necessary that the src/ folder stays flat, with no folders to add code organization?

Yes, and in general I’d advise any new contributor to a project not to modify the project structure.

• Is it a goal of glfw to have as few dependencies as possible/roll-your-own for most parts of the codebase?

Yes, GFLW has no dependencies outside those provided by the OS / Compiler.

• Is this forum the best way to communicate with the core devs of the project?

No - I’d use Github.

Please do read the GLFW contribution guide on ‘Contributing a feature’.

Note that GLFW is a large project with a small number of core devs and a lot of outstanding PRs, so contributions may not get much traction for some time.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Doug.

1 Like