Dual-monitor support

nobody wrote on Friday, January 14, 2005:

Hello,

If i understand, dual-monitor support will hopefully make it into version 2.6? I don’t know how long that will take, but for now, is the only solution to disable dual monitor support when testing in fullscreen?

Thanks, Stephen.

marcus256 wrote on Friday, January 14, 2005:

I just tried a fullscreen GLFW app on a dual monitor configuration this week (ATI 9600 XP, DVI + VGA), and noticed that it used software rendering in fullscreen mode, but HW acceleration in windowed mode (even across two monitors at the same time). :frowning:

I don’t have access to more than one monitor at home, so I can’t do much development/testing atm, which is one of the key reasons for the lack of proper multimonitor support in GLFW. I think I got the basic concept for supporting/selecting multiple monitors through the Win32 API (that’s what I intend to add to GLFW in the future), but I don’t know what forces the fullscreen mode to SW rendering on my card (this is at my job).

I would be very happy if someone with the resources and the will to test/code/fix this could help out. I’m a bit stuck.

slarew wrote on Friday, January 14, 2005:

Hello Stephen again,

I have dual-monitors, how can I help? I have basic experience with the Win32 API. I am certain I can look into the appropriate function calls and such. Is there a place you could suggest I start? If you just would like me to test, I can do that too.

marcus256 wrote on Sunday, January 16, 2005:

That would be more than great! I suppose you could start by testing how GLFW works on a dual monitor system under different situations. Then (if you can reproduce the problems I was seeing on an ATI 9600 under Win XP) you could perhaps take a look at:

lib\win32\win32_window.c - _glfwPlatformOpenWindow()
lib\win32\win32_fullscreen.c (perhaps)

I suspect that the window opening code does something "wrong". There are a few differences in window flags for fullscreen mode and windowed mode, for instance.

nobody wrote on Wednesday, February 09, 2005:

I have an application that is trying to create a fullscreen (not windowed) that is 2944x1200 in size (that represents two monitors – one 1920x1200 and one 1024x768). I configured windows XP to treat the two monitors as one (extend windows onto second display). What GLFW seems to do is squash everything onto just the 1920x1200 monitor. Is this a limitation or is there something I can do to get it to render to the full 2944x1200 size?