Setting up Visual Studio for GLFW without messing with project properties

Greetings:
I have a Win7/MSVS 2010 platform and followed instructions at
http://www.41post.com/5178/programming/opengl-configuring-glfw-and-glew-in-visual-cplusplus-express#part4
to create a Visual C++ project with GLFW. It works fine.

However, I would like to avoid setting a bunch of project configuration properties as the above site asks. So, following how I had freeGlut (which I have been using so far) going I did the following:

1. Copied the 2 files from glfw-3.2.1.bin.WIN32\include\GLFW to
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Include\GLFW (creating the GLFW folder).

2. Copied the 3 files from glfw-3.2.1.bin.WIN32\lib-vc2010 to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Lib.

3. Copied the file glfw3.dll from glfw-3.2.1.bin.WIN32\lib-vc2010 to C:nWindowsnSystem32.

Then I created a fresh C++ project, copied in the code from the site above and didn’t touch any config properties. There are no red lines under anything but when I compile I get a bunch of “LNK2019: unresolved external symbol” errors.

Any suggestions? I did exactly these steps to successfully install freeGlut and was hoping GLFW would be same. But apparently not.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sam

I advise you to follow the GLFW guidelines for linking with Visual Studio, and not to copy anything into system and platform SDK directories.

1 Like

Note that if you’re interested in simplified library management on Windows, the Visual C++ team have released Vcpkg a tool to acquire and build open source libraries which includes GLFW3.